We have chosen to follow the NENA guidelines and have
2 annual awards. First we will select one nominee from all PSAP nominations, for TC of the Year 2005 and
then recognize one nominee from each agency as the Silent Hero Achievement Award.
Descriptions of the 2 awards are outlined below.
TELECOMMUNICATOR OF THE YEAR
This award is presented to an individual telecommunicator in recognition
of his or her exemplary handling of a specific 9-1-1 emergency call. Consideration is given to skills and knowledge exhibited
in the areas of communication and leadership, and the telecommunicator’s ability to respond to unusual or special circumstances.
A panel of at least three judges will review all nominations, and based on the information provided will decide on the call
that best fits the criteria. More than one person can be nominated per center.
Time Period for Eligible Calls
The 9-1-1 or emergency call must have occurred between January 1 and
December 31, 2005.
* The nominee’s handling of a specific 91-1- or emergency call
should reflect the ability to:
* Listen and comprehend the caller’s request for help;
* Take command of the conversation to obtain the necessary information;
* Make independent decisions related to proper emergency response;
* Think and respond quickly and/or creatively as the emergency situation
* Reassure a frightened, confused or upset caller;
* Address the needs and concerns of the caller;
* Remain calm and maintain professional discipline in handling
a 91-1 call;
* Respond as special circumstances may dictate, including coordinating
multi-jurisdictional agency response or local resources other than public safety.
SILENT HERO ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
This award is presented to one individual per dispatch center for
exceptional professionalism in the field of emergency communications and acknowledges the special contributions of a person
whose daily performance of their duties is an inspiration and example to other. Only one telecommunicator per dispatch center
may be nominated. A panel of at least three judges will review all nominations to verify they meet the criteria.
* The nominee must have a minimum of two years experience as
* Demonstrate a positive attitude toward all aspects of the job;
* Demonstrate a willingness to participate as a team player;
* Be professional and take pride in the quality of the work;
* Earn and maintain the respect and high esteem of co-workers;
* Be flexible in task assignments and capabilities;
* Their job performance is above and beyond the call of duty.
Email your nominations to Fran Self firstname.lastname@example.org or to Lisa DiLiberto Lisa.DiLiberto@titusville.com